Marian Column Am Hof, 1010 Vienna
The original Marian Column on the square “Am Hof” in the first district of Vienna was a votive monument erected by Emperor Ferdinand III. He had vowed to honor the Madonna in this way if all ended well for Austria in the Franco-Swedish intervention in 1645. The first monument was erected as a stone column; in 1667 it was replaced by the current column made of Leitha limestone taken from the “Kaiser” quarry and granite and adorned with bronze figures. The Emperor gave the old column to Graf Georg Ludwig von Sinzendorf, the president of the “Hofkammer”, who had it erected next to his castle “Neuburg am Inn” in Wernstein. Our company also restored this monument (>>Mariensäule Wernstein/Inn). The Marian Column Am Hof was moved to its current site in 1961. In 2000 the damage to the monument included missing stone fasteners, cracks, inappropriate replacement material, exposed rusty reinforcement bars, and rust-induced cracks in the stone. Our company stabilized, cleaned (dry blasting), and desalinated the column. We also replaced rusty rebars and ties with stainless steel parts. White Portland cement mortar mixed to match in color and grain size was used to make replacement pieces for missing sections.
Address: 1010 Vienna, Am Hof
Service: Total restoration
Service period: May to October 2000
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung