House of Industry, 1031 Vienna
The House of Industry is located on Schwarzenbergplatz, where it was erected between 1906 and 1909 by the architect Carl König. Because of its monumental, linear architecture it is considered a major Neo-Baroque building. It is a four-story structure with a center risalit and corner risalits and is crowned by a three-part parapet roof. The street-side façades of the House of Industry had suffered heavy damage due to exposure to elements and traffic. From 2008 to 2009 Mag. Klaus Wedenig was contracted to restore these surfaces.
Treatment included the removal of loose layers of dirt, the application of biocides to combat biogenic growth, the consolidation of damaged surfaces, and the cementing and pinning of loose parts that could break off and be lost. In addition, earlier restoration attempts using material that didn't match in terms of color or form (in particular cement fillings) were removed and done properly. This involved either appropriate filler material or indent replacements using natural stone chosen to correspond to the aging and surface design of the existing original material (calcareous sandstone from the St. Margarethen and Mannersdorf quarries, Loretto sandstone, Neuhaus granite).
Two of the vases on the balustrade of the parapet roof had eroded and were in such poor condition that they had to be removed and replaced entirely. The reconstructions were made to match the form and material of the originals.
Finally, the plaster surfaces of the façades were given a mineral coating to match the color of the sandstone, and lime-marble slurry was applied to the stone surfaces. Moreover, the calcareous sandstone surfaces were treated with a hydrophobification agent to prevent leaching.
Address: 1030 Vienna, Schwarzenbergplatz 4
Service: Restoration of the street-side façades
Service period: February 2008 to October 2009
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung