Wall fountain, Belvedere gardens (NW corner pavilion), 1030 Vienna
Built 1850–52 according to plans by Peter Krafft, the neo-Baroque wall fountain near the northwest corner pavilion of the Belvedere gardens had become unsightly due to damage caused by weathering, dirt, and mineral deposits. Extensive lichen, algae, and moss growth as well as salt damage threatened the substance. The restoration of the fountain took place in 2005/06. Both groups of stone figures made of calcareous sandstone from Eggenburg were were removed and taken to the studio to be reinforced with carbon fibers. Missing extremities and adornments were reconstructed by sculptors using similar sandstone. To protect the figures from weathering they were coated with a thin layer of lime marble slurry that was sanded smooth and treated with a hydrophobification agent. The plaster and stucco surfaces of the fountain were restored nearly to their original 19th-century condition after repeated desalination treatment using poultices made of blotting paper.
Address: 1030 Vienna, Prinz-Eugen-Strasse
Service: Overall restoration
Service period: September 2005 to May 2006
Last updated: 07/07/2015 Imprint ©2015 Denkmalpflege G.m.b.H. & Mag. Klaus Wedenig Restaurierung & Konservierung